Recently, a panel of medical experts met and, for the first time, recommended that all American adults under the age of 65 be screened for anxiety by their doctors. In fact, according to the New York Times, the percentage of American adults with symptoms of anxiety or other types of depressive disorders increased from 36.4% to 41.5% from August 2020 to February 2021. This increase only represents those who have reported symptoms of anxiety to their doctors–many adults under-report symptoms of anxiety or do not report them at all. It is clear from this data that American adults have been plagued with unprecedented levels of stress-causing anxiety within the last few years.
Cannabis: A Natural Remedy to Treat Anxiety
While many adults seek mental health treatment and prescriptions from their doctors to cope with their anxiety disorders, others prefer more natural solutions and look to things like cannabis for help. Cannabis is an excellent option for some Americans living with anxiety, but it is crucial to find the right cannabis strain, as some strains of cannabis can actually increase and/or worsen feelings of anxiety. The cannabis strain guide below will help you better understand the types of cannabis, as well as the different strains of cannabis so that you can discover the best marijuana strains to help with anxiety.
The Difference Between Indica, Sativa, and Hybrid Cannabis Strains
Before using cannabis for your anxiety, you should consider that different types are formulated to include additional cannabinoids, terpenes, and other naturally occurring compounds to increase or decrease the different effects they have on the body and mind. There are three main types of cannabis: Indica, Sativa, and Hybrid. Among these three types of cannabis, different strains are produced to promote different effects. Indica strains usually affect the body and promote relaxation. Sativa strains impact the mind and help reduce feelings of stress and anxiety. Hybrid strains typically have a dominant strain of one or the other types of cannabis and are formulated to induce various feelings or effects.
The key to using cannabis to help you manage your anxiety is likely finding marijuana products with a high CBD-THC ratio. THC and CBD are both cannabinoids found within the Cannabis Sativa (hemp) plant. While THC is known to cause a psychoactive “high” effect, CBD is not. The THC found in cannabis can sometimes increase feelings of anxiety, but finding a strain with high amounts of CBD can mitigate those feelings and provide many benefits to mental health, especially when used in conjunction with other solutions like therapy.
Best Cannabis Strains for Anxiety
Here are some of the best cannabis strains to help manage anxiety.
- Charlotte’s Web is a Hybrid strain created to have a high CBD-THC ratio. It is known to help mitigate headaches, pain, and anxiety. Users report feelings of focus, sedation, and relaxation when using.
- Sometimes it really is all in a name! Remedy helps with all sorts of ailments from nausea to anxiety. It also has little to no psychoactive effects, making it great for everyday cannabis use.
- Cherry Wine is known to help users feel more cheery. Without much of a psychoactive effect, this is commonly used by those who have anxiety, asthma, and suffer from pain.
- As a Sativa-dominant strain, Blue Dream provides a somewhat cerebral, psychoactive effect that promotes positivity and relaxation, making it perfect for those who often feel depressed and anxious.
- As a type of Indica, Hindu Kush works well for people who suffer from feelings of anxiousness and too much stress, providing deep relaxation and calm. This is a great marijuana option to take in the evening before going to bed.
- Suzy Q can help get the job done! This cannabis strain can help provide more relaxation and calm an anxious mind, while simultaneously easing muscle tension without an overly heavy feeling.
- Feeling relaxed and happy is what ACDC is all about. As a perfectly balanced Hybrid strain with 50% Sativa and 50% Indica, it helps ease anxious feelings, replacing them with a sense of calm and overall well-being. In other words, ACDC rocks.
There is still a lot of research going into cannabis use for anxiety and other mental health disorders. The cannabis strains listed above are among some of the best and most popular cannabis strains. However, you may find that some strains are seasonal. There are many similar marijuana strains that are not on this list that can be found in our Neighborgoods cannabis line.
Before committing to a cannabis routine to help combat your anxiety, it may be wise to start slow and go low, meaning do not jump into it feet first and go with lower amounts of THC before gaining more experience. Also keep in mind that just because one cannabis strain works for someone, doesn’t mean it will work as well for you. It is important to find the right solutions to suit your specific needs, but once you do, you’ll likely feel calmer and happier, and less anxious.
Visit the Neighborgoods website to discover a wide range of products that can help promote less anxiety, like cannabis flower, vape cartridges, pre-rolls, and concentrates. And, learn where to find Neighborgoods cannabis products. We sell our high-quality marijuana in multiple Ohio and Massachusetts dispensaries including Sunnyside, UpTop dispensaries, Garden Remedies, Ascend, RISE Cannabis, and more.